Ballet Austin's The Nutcracker School Shows
Each year over 13,000 Central Texas elementary school students and teachers attend Ballet Austin’s The Nutcracker School Shows. The mission of these shows is to provide one act of a live ballet performance in a large theater at a minimal cost for local elementary-aged students. To enhance this live ballet experience, we also offer The Nutcracker Docent Program (see below), an optional in-school pre-performance educational program geared towards 3rd-graders that includes engaging activities for the classroom.
Teachers are provided with resources such as Ballet Austin’s The Nutcracker Footnotes, a production-specific performance guide with pre- and post-performance details, activities and discussion points.
2016 Dates & Times
Each group is welcome to attend either Act I or Act II. For groups wanting to attend both acts of The Nutcracker, please contact our Box Office at email@example.com or 512.476.2163 for tickets to one of our public shows.
Dec 6: 10:00am (Act I), 12:00pm (Act II)
Dec 7: 10:00am (Act I), 12:00pm (Act II)
Dec 8: 10:00am (Act I), 12:00pm (Act II)
The Long Center for the Performing Arts
701 West Riverside Drive, 78704 (Riverside at S. 1st)
$5 for one act (minimum group size of 10 elementary-aged students)
$4 for students of Title I schools
Adults (All teachers, administrators and other necessary chaperones)
1 free adult chaperone per every 22 students
Additional necessary chaperones are $25.00 each
All additional chaperones must be pre-approved through Ballet Austin
All additional chaperones must accompany the school to and from the theater – they cannot arrive separately
School Shows Timeline:
Wednesday, September 7, 2016: Registration opens for 3rd grade
Monday, September 12, 2016: Registration opens for all elementary grade levels (Kinder – 5th grade)
Friday, October 28, 2016: Registration closes on this date or when all shows are full, whichever occurs first.
Payment Deadlines (cash, check, or credit cards are accepted – no purchase orders are accepted)
Friday, November 4, 2016: All payments due. If your school’s payment is not received by this date, your School Shows spot may go to another school.
Friday, November 4, 2016: All registration changes due. Attendance numbers are sent to the theater for seating on this date. If you submit changes after this date we cannot guarantee that your school will be seated together. Any changes submitted after Nov. 4 that result in additional charges must be paid immediately with the school’s credit card.
Friday, December 2, 2016: All outstanding payments due by 4:00pm. If your school’s payment is not received by this time, a $20 late fee per week will be added to your balance beginning on Monday, December 5, 2016.
– Individual tickets will not be sold for these performances.
– A minimum of 10 elementary-aged students (Kinder–5th grade) per school is required for registration.
– Admission is limited to elementary school students and their teachers and chaperones.
– All reservations must be confirmed by Ballet Austin. After you submit this completed registration form, you will receive a confirmation and invoice with your attendance and payment information.
– All adults attending The Nutcracker School Shows with a school must be present to help escort students to and from the theater. For the students’ safety, all adults must be approved through the school, be included in the school’s attendance numbers by November 4, and must purchase a ticket for the show through the school.
For more information and to register please click here.